[sclug] Permission errors with Dovecot

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Aug 11 21:59:55 UTC 2005

Ahoy,

I've started getting weird errors on my mail server, I think since I changed
the umask for mail files and directories to 0644 (I wanted universal read
permissions for some anti-spam magic I've been setting up):

Aug 11 22:54:09 acrewoods imap-login: Login: tom [82.11.169.36]
Aug 11 22:54:10 acrewoods imap(tom): open() failed with
file /home/tom/Maildir/.INBOX/.imap.index.data: Permission denied

The permissions on that file, for some reason, are:

acrewoods: ~# ls -l /home/tom/Maildir/.INBOX/.imap.index.data
-----w----  1 tom users 58992 Aug 11
20:12 /home/tom/Maildir/.INBOX/.imap.index.data

I get loads of these errors for any mail files/dirs, which usually have *no*
r/w/x permissions at all! If I manually change the permissions on all files
in my maildir, they seem to get overridden later on.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what's going on, and how I can rectify the
situation? I've tried commenting out the umask setting to revert to the
default to no avail.

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,
please e-mail me at: telex4 at yahoo.com