[sclug] Mandrake, sys-v init and openvpn

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Fri Aug 12 08:21:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 10:29:14PM +0100, James Wyper wrote:
> I've recently installed openvpn 2.0 by -as the docs suggest - making
> an rpm from the source and installing it.  Everything seems to have
> gone smoothly apart from getting it to start automatically on boot;
> the init scripts seem to be ok but on booting I get
> starting openvpn       [FAILED]

> nothing useful is written to the syslog as far as I can see.

And nothing at all anywhere under /var/log ?

> however, once I have logged in I can su to root and enter
> service openvpn start
> which should run the same script -  and it works?!

Maybe it's in the wrong order and that something your VPN depends on
hasn't been started by the time the script first runs.

> What's the least disruptive way of sticking a trace onto the
> initialisation scripts or otherwise debugging them so I can find out
> what's wrong?

You chould add -x to the first line of the init script.

i.e. #!/bin/sh -> #!/bin/sh -x

But that might be a bit too much output and it may not help if it's a
config/dependency problem.

Simon.

--
UK based domain, email and web hosting ***/        If at first you don't /*
http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/     **/  succeed, you'll get lots of /**