[sclug] Promoting linux

John Barron mail at europa.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 14 10:13:59 UTC 2005

Entertaining meeting on Wednesday as usual, and good to see new attendees, if
we can manage to avoid scaring them off :-)

Something I started to put together a while ago is a kind of easy intro/quick
FAQ, aimed at being clear and readable by anyone encountering Linux for the
first time. The idea being that when I give away MEPIS, Knoppix, or Ubuntu
disks, as I frequently do, I can also provide a little introduction (quite
simply printed on both sides of an A4 page, folded into an A5 leaflet) to
take away with it.

If you want to have a look at the FAQ, and/or offer criticism[1], you can find
a .PDF of the document so far at:
http://www.europa.demon.co.uk/linux
[1] preferably *constructive* criticism :-) !!!

Took delivery of twenty sets of Ubuntu disks from shipit over the weekend
(hooray!), so I've now got those in reserve for distribution to prospective
Linux users, as well as any others I burn and label myself.

At present my favoured distributions to give away to novice Linux users are:
SimplyMEPIS
(because it's one-CD combined Live and Install CD designed to be easy to setup
and use)
Knoppix
(because it's one-CD with great h/w detection and a wide range of applications
good for showcasing Linux to more knowledgeable computer users encountering
Linux for the first time)
Ubuntu
(third on my list just because it's two CDs to burn, and I currently use MEPIS
myself so don't know it quite so well. I shall certainly make use of the
pressed CDs Ubuntu sent me, though, which comes in a nice cardboard case with
good "getting started" info on it)

--
John Barron