[sclug] Promoting linux

Adam Trickett adam.trickett at iredale.net
Sun Aug 14 11:20:26 UTC 2005

John Barron wrote:

> Something I started to put together a while ago is a kind of easy intro/quick
> FAQ, aimed at being clear and readable by anyone encountering Linux for the
> first time. The idea being that when I give away MEPIS, Knoppix, or Ubuntu
> disks, as I frequently do, I can also provide a little introduction (quite
> simply printed on both sides of an A4 page, folded into an A5 leaflet) to
> take away with it.
>
> If you want to have a look at the FAQ, and/or offer criticism[1], you can find
> a .PDF of the document so far at:
> http://www.europa.demon.co.uk/linux
> [1] preferably *constructive* criticism :-) !!!

The Hants-LUG have some nice FAQ content to use, see:

http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?InfoPoints/LinuxInfoFlyer

> Took delivery of twenty sets of Ubuntu disks from shipit over the weekend
> (hooray!), so I've now got those in reserve for distribution to prospective
> Linux users, as well as any others I burn and label myself.
>
> At present my favoured distributions to give away to novice Linux users are:
> SimplyMEPIS
> (because it's one-CD combined Live and Install CD designed to be easy to setup
> and use)
> Knoppix
> (because it's one-CD with great h/w detection and a wide range of applications
> good for showcasing Linux to more knowledgeable computer users encountering
> Linux for the first time)
> Ubuntu
> (third on my list just because it's two CDs to burn, and I currently use MEPIS
> myself so don't know it quite so well. I shall certainly make use of the
> pressed CDs Ubuntu sent me, though, which comes in a nice cardboard case with
> good "getting started" info on it)

I think live disks are great for technical users, but nothing beats show
and tell for less skilled users.

Don't forget to remind people that even though the live disk is great,
it's running off CD and Linux will be faster if installed, and you can
add even more software if you want, or remove things if you don't want them.

--
 Adam Trickett
  Overton, HANTS, UK