[sclug] Re: [hants] French Local Govt - free CDs to schools......

Adam Trickett adam.trickett at iredale.net
Sun Aug 14 11:27:00 UTC 2005

alan c wrote:
> It started to get me thinking.......
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39212812,00.htm
>
> What about it?

I think they were given two disks, one was an "The Open CD" type disk
for Windows/Mac, the second was a Debian/Knoppix based live CD called
Kaella[1].

In many respects the UK lags way behind the French, they have this
project and the Freeduc[2] education CD project. I also think that
Mandriva has had some success in getting Linux into French government
departments and large education sites.

I know my local primary school is interested in Linux, probably only so
they can use low-cost computers more effectively, but it's a start.

[1] http://kaella.linux-azur.org/
[2] http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd

--
 Adam Trickett