[sclug] converting ogg files to mp3s

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 19 13:40:09 UTC 2005

> Hi James,
>
> I ask because when I try to rip a CD using KAudio Creator and select
> Lame in the Encoding option I get:
>
> The encoded file was not created.
> Please check your encoder options.
> The wav file has been removed. Command was: lame --r3mix --tt '01'
> --ta
> 'Unknown Artist' --tl 'Unknown Album' --ty '0' --tn '01' --tg 'Other'
>
> '/tmp/kde-spookie/kaudiocreatoryINHlb.tmp' '/home/spookie/mp3/Unknown
>
> Artist/Unknown Album/Unknown Artist -
> 01.mp3'
>
> Thanks for your help, Stuart.

Is lame correctly installed?  (try typing 'which lame' at a command
prompt to see if it's in your path)
You could try ripping the CD to a .wav file and then using lame on the
command line to encode it - if it doesn't work then you should at least
get a more helpful error message.
You could also try using grip which (AFAIK) is similar to
Kaudiocreator, and stable.

James.