[sclug] Choice of window managers

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Sat Aug 20 13:11:29 UTC 2005

>>Window managers, gui's etc are very significant to more experienced
>>users, but to an off-street punter who is just getting interested in a
>>different os from 'doze, is likely to see wm choice as uneccesary
>>trouble and complication.

PMFBI, but in my experience most Windows users think the windows manager
_is_ the O/S. The idea that they can choose from different (and often
unusual) window managers is unlikely to offer much appeal. After all,
you can get alternatives to the Windows Explorer interface, you can
change the appearance and tweak the theme, and on Windows 95/98/Me
family even use the old lightweight Win3.0 progman interface, but as a
proportion of the total how many people bother? How many people even care?

I agree  - best concentrate on the weaknesses of Windows - viruses,
trojans, BSOD (though not so much these days), massive memory greed, if
you want to win converts.

Neil.