[sclug] Printing problems

Peter Brewer p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk
Tue Aug 23 10:18:03 UTC 2005

I've never really got to grips with printing in Linux and could do with
a bit of help....

I have set up two systems for family using Suse 9.3.  One has an Epson
C66 attached and the other a Lexmark Laser (don't have the model to
hand).  There aren't exact printer drivers for either printer but I
managed to get them working by using similar model drivers e.g. the
Epson C64 for the C66.

The problem is, when I reboot, the printers aren't started
automatically.  I have to go to the print manager as root and start the
printer each time.  This is a problem as I don't want to be giving our
root pwd to everyone that wants to print!  The funny thing is that I did
exactly the same procedure on my own machine with an Epson EPL6200 and
it all works fine.

Anyone got any ideas what I've done wrong?  I'm sure it is likely to be
an ID10T error!

Cheers

Pete