[sclug] Bracknell Local (sub group) hopeful start - Local contacts (?)

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Aug 26 17:13:56 UTC 2005

Some (long) time ago, I asked about how to set up a LUG, and with the
subsequent discussion it became evident that probably the best way to go
would be a form of sub group of sclug, with a focus, (if one could
develop), around the local Bracknell area.

I am keen to enable an easy and very local method of making contact -
initial contact at least - around Bracknell, which is where I happen to
live......

Although I still am a newbie in most ways with linux, I can hold my own
enough to encourage local contacts. If more adanced questions arise, as
they surely will, it will be easy to give novices encouragement and help
to also develop contact with sclug, and possibly hants- lug. And of
course, the internet.

I am looking at ways now to publicise my phone number locally, for linux
contact. I think that for wavering local M$ users who initially are
curious, this will be less intimidating than a scheduled meeting in
Reading. I personally find Reading inconvenient to get to in the
evening, and some others may also find this. When I was just starting
with Suse, even though it is one of the easiest distros, I would have
found a great benefit from a very local contact, even though I could use
email and usenet. Which I use a lot.

After initial phone contact I will be suggesting they meet up in a local
pub - The Old Manor (opposite the Bracknell & Wokingham College on the
Bracknell ring road) is in mind. It is advertised as having WiFi, but I
haven't used it yet. It is a Weatherspoons (non smoking) pub, and they
also sell cheap food. It is central, on the edge of the town centre. I
could fairly easily cover meetings monthly there.

As a local start to email-and-net contact for the group - which at
present has members totalling - myself only........  I have started a
yahoogroup

Such groups are easy to administer, are free etc, and it is a stepping
stone to a more formal sclug contact.

In a moment of weakness, I think Simon kindly once said he would, in the
event,  create a bracknell or similar local email list if it was
justified. (I trust the memory can be recalled from the misty past
Simon?). It may not be necessary. It may take some time, it depends on
how much local publicity I can get.

If things start to happen here, as I hope, and hope to encourage, it
will be obvious that people should identify with a main LUG as they
begin to use linux if they are novices, and I am sure that will happen.
If they are existing users, they may be useful local contacts. Maybe
support.

(invitation)
Please accept an invitation to join this bracknell local group - to help
boost initial membership figures (!) I need a few more names in addition
to me, the goldfish, cat and hamster. Even though hamsters are in the
news with their help in charging mobile phones, I have not heard them
yet getting into linux. Perhaps it could be my first news story though?  :-)

BTW I have not yet persuaded the goldfish, cat and hamster to join, yet.

Helpful comments welcome, and if you know people around Bracknell, give
them a nudge please?
--
Alan Cocks,  Bracknell   01344 421252