[sclug] Jukebox

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Fri Aug 26 21:50:45 UTC 2005

Ahoy,

I've been wanting some kind of stereo device for a while now, but I've
recently got some money to finally sort one out.

Basically I want to be able to store my OGG collection on a box that will:

- plug into my PC speakers, and eventually a decent set of speakers + amp
- allow me to browse and manage playlists

At the moment I'm considering either building up a shuttle PC, plugging it
into my TV and running a stripped down GNU/Linux set-up on it. That way I get
all the power of software like amaroK in a small, quiet box. I also thought
about trying to find a really small laptop so it stays out of the way but
also has a screen with it.

The problem with these two solutions is that they're still quite pricey. A
basic Shuttle PC with TV-out goes for around ?350, whilst the laptop would
need to be second hand and I'm not too happy with the prospect of it packing
up a year later.

Has anyone else done anything similar, and if so what do they suggest?

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,
please e-mail me at: telex4 at yahoo.com