[sclug] Uploading a website to host

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 29 22:45:50 UTC 2005

Stuart Major wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have created a website using phpwebsite and have a host set up.  Can
> anyone tell me how to upload the site to the host server?
>
> I think I need to use ftp but I'm not sure of the details.  Any advice
> would be most welcome.

That's usually the case; the details vary from ISP to ISP. You'll need
to contact yours.

You'll need some sort of FTP client; there are several around, but the
ones built into browsers aren't sufficient. I haven't used one for ages
(as the sorry condition of my website bears witness!) so I don't have a
recommendation.

FTP is a rather quirky protocol, so you might get some funnies if you've
got a paranoid or homebrew firewall. Make sure the client is set to
"passive" mode rather than "active" - IIRC the command is PASV for a
command-line FTP client.

HTH

Will.