[sclug] Uninterruptible sleep

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 21:08:04 UTC 2005

Alex,

> I don't think you should be running -E on the md device, but on the
> partitions that make it up. Here, mdadm works as follows:

It looks like the kernel cannot make up its mind whether I
have a faulty drive or not.

mdadm -E /dev/sdc2

lists /dev/sdd2 as being "faulty removed"
but mdadm -E /dev/sdd2
reports the device as "active sync"

> I don't know why your mdadm/kernel isn't returning immediately. Try
> attaching strace to it and see what the last syscall it made was. Try
> running it under strace.

Done that.  Is there anybody I can send the output to?
Interestingly I found a bug in sysstat that showed the
same partition as having zero read/write throughput.
The problem was caused by an off-by-1 error on 64-bit systems.
I wonder if this is the same problem (I will email the sysstat
author).

--
Derek M. Jones                              tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                      mailto:derek at knosof.co.uk
Applications Standards Conformance Testing    http://www.knosof.co.uk