[sclug] Uninterruptible sleep

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 22:24:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Derek M Jones wrote:

>> I don't think you should be running -E on the md device, but on the
>> partitions that make it up. Here, mdadm works as follows:
>
> It looks like the kernel cannot make up its mind whether I
> have a faulty drive or not.
>
> mdadm -E /dev/sdc2
>
> lists /dev/sdd2 as being "faulty removed"
> but mdadm -E /dev/sdd2
> reports the device as "active sync"

What does 'cat /proc/mdstat' report?

>> I don't know why your mdadm/kernel isn't returning immediately. Try
>> attaching strace to it and see what the last syscall it made was. Try
>> running it under strace.
>
> Done that.  Is there anybody I can send the output to?

If you pop it online somewhere, I can take a look. Alternatively, I guess,
your distro maintainers if you're running the most recent version with no
key components (kernel, glibc, etc) replaced and all applicable updates
(seeing as the problem doesn't appear to be present with the mdadm on my FC3
system).

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?