[sclug] Nat/Network question

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at weardale.cl
Sun Dec 11 10:04:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 23:01 +0000, Hamlesh Motah wrote:
> "Seasonal" greetings to all,
>
> A nat/networking type question.
>
> I currently have a /28 routed to my home ADSL, using one of those Alcatel Speedtouch 510 jobbies, which actually works very well.  Supports the bridging mode required to utilise all the ips, behind that sits an ipcop box which does the NAT/"routing" for the house computers.
>
> I have recently acquired an Alcatel PCI ADSL card, and I'd like to build a box to replace the router I am currently using, the thinking being to reduce the number of machines I am running.
>
> Would attempting something like this work?
>
> ADSL Card > Internet
> Eth0 > Nat'ed interface - for "house computers"
> Eth1 > Bridged interface? (unsure of terminology)

If you can put the ADSL card in the IpCop Firewall and it has the
drivers. Then you can make ADSL the Red Interface eth0 the Green
interface and eth1 the Orange interface.

I too have a /28 block of addresses.  But use NAT for all internal hosts
whether they are on Green,Blue or Orange.

I then port forward the IP Address/Port combination I want to the
appropriate host.

Regards,
Tom.
Those that understand Binary and those that don't.