[sclug] Nat/Network question

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sun Dec 11 10:18:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Hamlesh Motah wrote:

> I have recently acquired an Alcatel PCI ADSL card, and I'd like to build a
> box to replace the router I am currently using, the thinking being to
> reduce the number of machines I am running.
>
> Would attempting something like this work?
>
> ADSL Card > Internet
> Eth0 > Nat'ed interface - for "house computers"
> Eth1 > Bridged interface? (unsure of terminology)
>
> So eth1 would be connected to an access switch, on which there would be
> internet facing machines (currently connected to the inbuilt switch on the
> Alcatel).

You might want to look into using netfilter with the bridging
patches/ebtables:

<http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Ethernet-Bridge-netfilter-HOWTO.html>
<http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/>

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?