[sclug] No external net connection

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 23:35:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Derek M Jones wrote:

> I have just upgraded a machine to Suse 10.0 (from
> 9.3) and lost my internet connection :-(
>
> No problem connecting (ftp, telnet, etc) to local
> machines.

Firstly, are your default gateway and subnet mask settings still OK?

Next, have you tried disabling IPv6? Add to /etc/modprobe.conf (or the SuSE
equivalent):

install net-pf-10 /bin/true

If this works, it looks as though your DNS server(s) aren't answering IPv6
AAAA queries.

Failing that, run ethereal whilst attempting to make an http connection and
put the capture file online somewhere so we can take a look at what's
happening.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?