[sclug] large disc capacity system

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 18:37:44 UTC 2005

All,

Talking of large capacity disc systems.  I have been
looking into building my own system to hold
3-4T of data that is processed is various ways.  It is
essentially a single user data cruncher system.

Does anybody have any recommendations?
I plan to use RAID 5 to provide some degree of backup.
My current choice of components is:

motherboard (I had planned to buy a 3ware card, but
the following offers raid 5 sata in hardware)
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8nsli-d/overview.htm

case (it seems that high end cases are aimed at overclockers
and lan party people, rather than business use)
http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/tsunami/bwa/bwa.htm

power supply (never hurts to have plenty of umph for all the
discs I might want to add in).
http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/w049atx12v/w0049atx12v.htm

derek

--
Derek M Jones                                           tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                            mailto:derek at knosof.co.uk