[sclug] partitions

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Tue Jan 18 07:16:59 UTC 2005

> ...Multiple partitions are just a pain, and unnecessary for anything
> other than a hard-core server.

In what sense are they a pain, once partitioning has been done and fstab
sorted out?

> When I install a desktop system, I usually do (in order from the
> beginning of the disk):
>
> /boot --- 10MB
> swap --- 512MB or a gigabyte
> / --- everything else

What about the adage that it is safer to keep apps and data physically
separate? FWIW I like to have a /home partition, preferably a second
hard drive if available. That way no matter what I have to do to the OS
installation (even replace it with something else), the data remains
safe, and is portable to a new machine if desired. Okay, I could back it
up somewhere and restore it after a reinstallation, but that really /is/
a pain. ;-)

Neil.