[sclug] partitions

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Jan 18 10:37:36 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 07:16, Neil Haughton wrote:
> > ...Multiple partitions are just a pain, and unnecessary for anything
> > other than a hard-core server.
>
> In what sense are they a pain, once partitioning has been done and fstab
> sorted out?

apt-get update. Oh, look, /var's filled up. All my mail is bouncing, my logs
aren't being written to, various applications that don't handle disk full
errors are crashing all over the place. But I've still got a gigabyte free
in /home.

The problem with multiple partitions is that you end up with quite a lot of
wasted space, which is a problem on small disks, and you *can't change your
mind later*. My server has a seperate /var, and I keep hitting the problem
above, because I made it too small. Eventually I had to move mail, my web
root, etc into /home in order to try and make the system reasonably stable
(it's not good when someone sends you a big mail message and all your logging
stop!), and if I'm going to do that, I may as well not bother.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Opportunity is missed by most people because it's
+- www.cowlark.com --+