[sclug] Sychronising User accounts across distros

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Fri Jan 21 18:33:06 UTC 2005

Hello,

I hope you people can help me out with a little newbie problem.

I have a dual boot machine (for experimentation and fun), and I want to
synchonise my user account (with a common ID) across the distros so that
I have exactly the same rights on directories in one distro when they
are mounted in the other (if you see what I mean).

Someone was good enough to explain to me at the last sclug meeting how
to do this, but I have forgotten the details. I've edited my /etc/passwd
file in one distro to make the userID match that in the other distro,
but there was something about chown'ing something that I can't remember,
and probably some other stuff too.

We're talking Mandrake and Ubuntu (aka Debian) here.

Can anyone help out?

Neil.