[sclug] Sychronising User accounts across distros

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Fri Jan 21 18:42:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:32:56 +0000
Neil Haughton <n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com> wrote:

> I've edited my /etc/passwd
> file in one distro to make the userID match that in the other distro,
> but there was something about chown'ing something that I can't remember,

You need to make sure that you have the same group too, which is the fourth
field in the /etc/passwd entry (the user id is the third field). Then make
sure that your home directory has those permissions. The easy way, assuming
your username is me and your groups is mygroup:

	chown -R me.mygroup /home/me

That should do it, but if you have problems then come back here.

Keith