[sclug] IMAP server

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sun Jul 10 14:10:31 UTC 2005

Hiya Keith,

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:12:17PM +0100, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Neil Haughton wrote:
> >Reading up on all that, it seems that I will also have to set my MUA
> >of the moment to leave mail on the IMAP server (so that when I change
> >MUA it will all still be there). Is this correct?
> Your MUA *will* leave the mail on the IMAP server (well, unless you
> delete it, and maybe even then). This is where IMAP differs from POP3:
> the former does not remove mail from the server, although it /may/
> download a local copy which can be useful if you are on a laptop.

That's not necessarily true.  It's true that IMAP is more often used
this way than POP3 but POP3 has things like UIDL support which can help
here and there's no real reason you can't leave mail in a pop box on the
server.

IMAP is however better suited for it as you can do folder manipulations
and so on.

I'm sure Dickon has probably abused both in some evil heinous way I've
not even considered too :p

Simon.

--
oOoOo           "I get mail; therefore I am." - Dilbert            oOoOo
 oOoOo                                                            oOoOo