[sclug] IMAP server

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Thu Jul 7 19:12:40 UTC 2005

Neil Haughton wrote:
> Reading up on all that, it seems that I will also have to set my MUA of
> the moment to leave mail on the IMAP server (so that when I change MUA
> it will all still be there). Is this correct?

Your MUA *will* leave the mail on the IMAP server (well, unless you
delete it, and maybe even then). This is where IMAP differs from POP3:
the former does not remove mail from the server, although it /may/
download a local copy which can be useful if you are on a laptop.

> That only leaves the problem of what to do with my current email store
> (a set of Thunderbird folders). Is the format the same? ie, can I just
> copy my surrent email folder by folder to the IMAP store?

Once you have set up your Dovecot IMAP server then you can drag 'n' drop
mail in Thunderbird from the local folders to the IMAP servers.
Unfortunately I don't think you can drag entire folders, but if you
create the folder tree on the IMAP server using Thunderbird, you can
then select all mails in the local folder and move or copy them to the
corresponding new folder on the IMAP server.

It's probably easier than you think.

--
Keith Edmunds