[sclug] Better than RAID?

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Sat Oct 1 18:03:03 UTC 2005

All,

I have finally built myself a system with lots of
disc capacity.

Looking around at the possible ways of future proofing
my disc configuration (against bad blocks and incrementally
adding bigger discs) I discovered EVMS, http://evms.sourceforge.net/
Does anybody have any experience with using EVMS?

I am unlikely to want to do all the fancy things that logical
volume management provides.

Is the performance overhead of this extra layer a big hit?

System configuration below (it runs Suse 9.3 fine, but
I plan to use version 10 when it arrives {supposed to have
been shipped yesterday}):

8 x Seagate Barracuda 400GB Sata
1 x 40GB IDE Connor (I think; out of an old box)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400 2.2Ghz Socket 939
Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 TwinX (2 x 1GB) Dual Channel
Asus A8N-SLi Premium Socket 939
Asus GeForce 6200 TC
Sony DRU-810A DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 680W PSU
Thermaltake Armour VA8000BWS

--
Derek M. Jones                              tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                      mailto:derek at knosof.co.uk
Applications Standards Conformance Testing    http://www.knosof.co.uk