[sclug] Better than RAID?

Alan Pearson alandpearson at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 1 18:50:30 UTC 2005

Derek

You would want to RAID these drives first (RAID5 ?).
Then run logical volume management on top of that.

Don't know why you want EVMS for a normal system when LVM2 (part of
Suse) would be suffice.

LVM give you nice features such as 'dynamic' partitioning (logical
volumes),  ability to create snapshots (excellent for backup, you can
create a snapshot of a LV in seconds and mount the snapshot. Then you
can back up the snapshot. You can also create 'point in time'
snapshots, that you can roll back to. So if you're going to mess with
your system config, you could create a snapshot of your root LV, do
all the messing, and rollback to the snapshot if it goes wrong).

If you've got more than one disk in a system it PAYS to have volume
management.
I wouldn't run an N disk system without LVM / Veritas / <insert
volume manager here>

AlanP