[sclug] Better than RAID?

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Sat Oct 1 19:31:09 UTC 2005

Alan,

> Don't know why you want EVMS for a normal system when LVM2 (part of
> Suse) would be suffice.

The functionality that caught my eye was:

    o Bad Block Relocation

Alex,

 > Also, IIRC, EVMS has been deprecated in favour of its unique
functionality
 > being ported to LVM2.

Well that sounds like a good reason to switch to LVM2.  But
how quickly
will the features be back ported.
 From this Sourceforge page:
The current stable version of EVMS is 2.5.3. It was released on June 10,
2005.
It looks like EVMS is still being worked on.

 > By contrast, when BSD's software RAID encounters a read error, it will
 > immediately try to re-write the block from the other volumes in the set.
 > This will probably fix it, but only if it doesn't will the device hosting
 > the failed block be removed from the set. This strikes me as much safer.
 > BSD

Yes, I was impressed by this approach to handling errors.
For the time being I will go with the flow and use Linux RAID.
If I experience lots of spurious problems I might well switch to BSD.