[sclug] Dell desktop for 175GBP inc. delivered - offer closes 2/11/2005

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Thu Oct 27 17:45:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, John Stumbles wrote:

> The si and so columns were a lot higher than when the system is just
> pootling along.

The 'si' and 'so' columns are particularly high.  You don't really want it
swapping at all (although a bit of background is usually inevitable) as
that would probably suggest your active set is larger than your available
physical RAM (and then you're thrashing, if it keeps up).  If you start
swapping when you're doing something atypical (say spell checking), you
can probably live with it; but if you're finding that the swapping is
going on fairly heavily when you're just browsing the web or swapping
between programs, you've got problems.

Adding more RAM will obviously mean you can work with a larger amount of
general RAM and will minimise the amount of time you're waiting for
applications to minimise and restore.

It is also the case that disk time spent paging is taken away from time
available for normal disk access (so your browser paging is going to slow
down writing files to the disk-based cache, etc.; the kernel's FS cache
will be caching things probably in memory, too, so it's a balls-up all
round).

I don't run a desktop on my Linux machine, so its figures are pretty
useless in this context - out of 384MB RAM, ~218MB is cache, ~60MB is
used actively and ~108MB is free (not bothering to round the KB -> MB!).

I would certainly get the system such that your normal day-to-day
activities are not causing swapping.  Memory is pretty cheap these days,
although I can understand not wanting to spend money on memory for old
computers that can't be reused in new ones (fortunately all my PCs take
PC-100/-133 RAM and I inherited a box of it).

On the subject of eBuyer - I know everyone has a horror story about every
retailer, but I have had several appalling incidents with them and they're
one of the few retailers I've not forgiven.  Making mistakes is one thing,
but (at least at the time - back in February) being only able to contact
them through their crummy eNotes system (and not being able to call them)
was unacceptable.

[Especially annoying as I had ordered a 400GB external HD drive, desperate
to get 40GB of DV footage off my laptop before going on holiday to Japan;
I couldn't even get hold of anyone to cancel an order, while I was trying
to order an alternative product from another supplier, I was concerned I
might end up with two.]

This experience has been repeated with several people within our
department at work (on personal sales - not business) and I think the
feeling is pretty consitent.

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
  Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK