[sclug] Dell desktop for 175GBP inc. delivered - offer closes 2/11/2005

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Thu Oct 27 18:50:58 UTC 2005

James Wyper wrote:
>>Before getting too deeply into tuning, are there issues that could
>>result in order-of-magnitude improvements on my existing system? It's
>>currently taking me ~5s to bring a mimimised application to the
>>foreground, whereas I would expect that it should be nearer 0.5s (is
>>that reasonable?)
>>
>>--
>

> I run Mandrake 10.1 (KDE 3.2) on an elderly 350Mhz Pentium 2 with 288MB
> RAM and don't have the same kind of perfomance issues that you appear
> to have (apart from Azureus which is a real hog).  So I would think
> that some tuning is worth investigating.

I think it's the no of apps I have open at the same time - usually
firefox, tbird, xmms, jpilot, konqueror, konsole, kate,
kwrite, OOo and Azureus.

And about a bazillion instances of gpg-agent at about 3.5M Vmsize a pop
which seem to get left behind by other user's sessions. I have no idea
why :-(

If I just have kwrite, kate, jpilot, konq, tbird, ffox and konsole
system performance is OK.

--
John Stumbles