[sclug] Wireless Gamepad for Linux?

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 29 20:35:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Alan Pope wrote:

> On 29/10/05, Sapan Ganguly <sapan.ganguly at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Does anyone know of a wireless game pad that works on Linux?  I was
>> thinking of using one to control Mythtv and play a few MAME arcade ROMS.
>>

> I can tell you one that definately doesn't work. The Nintendo Gamecube
> Wavebird wireless controller via a Gamecube to USB controller doesn't
> work.

My guess is that this might be because USB can only supply 5.0V @ 0.5A. If
the Nintendo controllers are designed to be powered differently (e.g. the
original Playstation's 'Dual Shock' motors run off the ~13V line), then this
might be the cause. My PSX-USB adaptor allows one to attach an external
power supply for this purpose.

To Sapan, I suggest you look at Documentation/input/joystick.txt in the
kernel sources (or /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc*/ if you're using RH/FC) and
<http://qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=3> for compatibility
recommendations.

> Cheers,
> Al.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?