[sclug] Wireless Gamepad for Linux?

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Sat Oct 29 21:00:46 UTC 2005

* Alex Butcher <lug at assursys.co.uk> [2005-10-29 21:35:41]:
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Alan Pope wrote:
>
> >On 29/10/05, Sapan Ganguly <sapan.ganguly at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of a wireless game pad that works on Linux?  I was
> >>thinking of using one to control Mythtv and play a few MAME arcade ROMS.
> >>

> >I can tell you one that definately doesn't work. The Nintendo Gamecube
> >Wavebird wireless controller via a Gamecube to USB controller doesn't
> >work.
>
> My guess is that this might be because USB can only supply 5.0V @ 0.5A. If
> the Nintendo controllers are designed to be powered differently (e.g. the
> original Playstation's 'Dual Shock' motors run off the ~13V line), then this
> might be the cause. My PSX-USB adaptor allows one to attach an external
> power supply for this purpose.

A google search for "wavebird usb" confirms that none of the GC->USB
adapters support the wavebird. Either because the radio receiver
requires too much power as you say, or maybe it just works a bit
differently that whoever reverse engineered the gamecube ports didn't do
a complete job.

I'd suspect the GC->GBA linkup cable doesn't 'work' either, although I'm
curious as to what I'd expect it to do.

Matt
--
"Accept anything. Then explain it your way."