[sclug] php problems

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Fri Sep 2 23:12:01 UTC 2005

On Saturday 03 Sep 2005 00:01, Stuart Major wrote:
> Running Suse 9.0 on my box and uploading to a site that has php
> programming and MySQL but not MySQL web interface.
>
> http://www.greenwebhost.net/hostingfeatures.htm
>
> Do I need this or do I need to upload phpMyAdmin?

Have you been following the INSTALL.txt file? According to that you need to go
through various steps, including:

1 - Upload the files
2 - Run a script to set permissions (needs shell access), or do it manually
3 - Visit the URL of the set-up script via your web browser

Once you're at step three, there appears to be a set-up script that will do
all the fun database / configuration stuff. Do you know the details for the
database? You'll need the hostname (usually localhost), database name,
username and password.

> How do I tell Apache about the .php files, I have a index.php file that
> I presume initiates the site in some way?

Your host should have already set-up Apache to recognise index.php as an index
file, so that visiting www.exmaple.com/ will load www.example.com/index.php
automatically. You can test this simply by trying the two alternative URLs
out! You can also check PHP functionality by uploading a script called
"test.php" with the following content: <?php phpinfo() ?>

Visiting www.example.com/test.php should load up a page full if info about
your PHP installation. If instead you get a plain text file with the source
code in it, your host isn't set-up to deal with PHP properly or you need to
fiddle with permissions.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,
please e-mail me at: telex4 at yahoo.com