[sclug] php problems

Taiyo Rawle taiyo_rawle at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 23:27:54 UTC 2005

--- Stuart Major <stuartmajor at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> Keith Edmunds wrote:
>
>  > Stuart Major wrote:
>  >
>  >> Am I correct in thinking php is a scripting
> language, that I need to
> somehow get to run?
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > Yes. I don't know which Linux distribution you
> are using, but you
> need to install a "php4" or "mod_php" package (the
> names vary from one
> distro to the next).
>

> Thanks Keith,
>
> Running Suse 9.0 on my box and uploading to a site
> that has php
> programming and MySQL but not MySQL web interface.
>
> http://www.greenwebhost.net/hostingfeatures.htm
>
> Do I need this or do I need to upload phpMyAdmin?
>
> Apologies for more question, but I am really in the
> dark.

The OS on your machine is largely irrelevant, as it is
the OS on the server that you have uploaded the
website to that the scripts will be executed on.
Looking at the greenwebhost feature page, it should
all work as they provide PHP and MySQL.

What errors do you get when trying to access php
scripts on your server?

>  > Then you need to tell Apache that files ending in
> ".php" should be
> interpreted as PHP files.
>

> How do I tell Apache about the .php files, I have a
> index.php file that
> I presume initiates the site in some way?
>
> Thanks again, Stuart.

Generally, index.php or index.html or index.whatever
is the default file displayed for the directory it's
in. For example, uless configured otherwise,
www.website.kom and www.website.kom/index.php will
both load index.php. Other than that, a file called
index has no real significance over files of other
names.

Telling Apache how to deal with different filetypes
often requires editing a config file or using a remote
admin tool like webmin, but as green webhosting
provide PHP functionality then this will almost
cirtainly have been done for you.

Did the website work correctly on your machine before
you uploaded it?

Cheers!
-Taiyo