[sclug] CDRWIN .bin/cue format files

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 21:30:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, John Stumbles wrote:

> I have <cough!> acquired a couple of files purporting to be a ripped DVD. One
> is xx.fooobar.kvcd.bin, at 790M about right to be an AVI version of the disk,
> and the other is a 127 byte .cue file:
>
> Neither 'file' nor konqueror tell me anything about the .bin file, but konq
> reports that the .cue file is a CDRWIN Cue-Sheet[1]
>
> Googling for CDRWIN I find e.g. http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=CDRWIN
> which tells me that "What it does: ... Ripping: ... it makes images in the
> most compatible format, .bin/cue. From there you can anything with them,
> mount/burn/edit with any app u like."
>
> I tried:
>
> $ mount xx.fooobar.kvcd.bin mnt -t vfat -o loop
>
> but get
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop/0,
>       missing codepage or other error
>       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>       dmesg | tail  or so

Not surprising - CDs use the ISO9660 filesystem, DVDs use ISO9660 or UDF,
not vfat.

I'm pretty sure I've used cdrdao to burn cue/bin files before now.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?