[sclug] [OT] Banking site *Requires* use of Internet Exploiter

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Sep 8 12:54:00 UTC 2005

Ian Park wrote:
> I felt I had to get this one off my chest...
>
> This morning, I decided to give the Egg Money Manager a try (they're
> offering a ?10 incentive to anyone who signs up to it...) - I already
> have an Egg credit card and an Egg savings account. So far, I've had no
> problem using Firefox to access the Egg web site, so you can imagine my
> gobsmackedness (and annoyance) when I read:
>
> "Download Internet Explorer
>

> To install Egg Money Manager on this PC, you need a PC with Internet
> Explorer 5.0 or above. This is because the software we give you to run
> Egg Money Manager is 'browser based'. It should only take a few minutes
> to download Internet Explorer, just select 'download' below."
>
> I have sent a very snotty secure message to Egg...
>
> Ian

I  had a look at the site, and saw the 'Internet Explorer 5 or above'
requirement, although I did not proceed further to find out how
important ie actually was to the process.

However, I did want to send an email enquiry about this. I was unable to
find an email for non-account holders enquiries, maybe I missed something.

There were phone numbers though and an *ombudsman's complaints* email info.
It is as if they expect only (new) customers who prefer to phone, which
is weird.

The approach in the site did not impress me at all, and I would not be
happy to be a customer to such a company with their apparent approach,
it does not seem rounded or mature for web use.
--
alan cocks