[sclug] Odd TOCs on CDs

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Fri Sep 9 11:28:38 UTC 2005

> > Don't get me started.  I bought my first track off iTunes yesterday
> > (to see what it was about). I had to burn it to audio CD, then
> > reimport it from the audio CD as MP3, to be able to use it
> on my Palm
> > Tungsten. I do understand why things are like this, but
> when I cannot
> > play music I have legitimately bought, I pisses me off.
>
> I assume you didn't have to burn a cd, and just re-used the
> cdda/wav data ?  Also why not just run playfair, to decrypt
> the fairplay protected data ?

iTunes would not allow me to burn an MP3 CD with the bought music. I could
however burn the purchased music to an audio CD. Which I then did.
Subsequently, I imported the audio track to MP3, such that it could be used
on a separate MP3 player. You assume incorrectly.

Was not aware of playfair.

> http://sarovar.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=474
>  (you'll need to google for a while to actually get the code
> though, this just explains what it is)

Ta.

> > Another gripe. Having burnt MP3 music CDs, to play on my
> DVD player at
> > a party, I find my DVD player will only play CDs randomly, and not
> > MP3s. So wasted CDs (ah well), and wil be plugging laptop into hifi.
>
> You wrote that your DVD player only plays CDs randomly?  You
> mean it's unreliable reading CDRs?  It also can't play mp3s!?
>  Even ?19.99 ones from supermarkets play mp3s these days !

Rewritten for the pedants ;)

It is only possible to use the random feature of my DVD player on VideoCD,
DVD & Music CD. It will play MP3s fine (subject to a number of
directory/filename restraints), however, the random feature is not available
with MP3 data CDs.

believed to be clean.