[sclug] Odd TOCs on CDs

Damion Yates damiony at is.bbc.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 11:23:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Chris Aitken wrote:

> > Simon Huggins wrote:
> > > Speaking of CDs, what software will ignore dodgy TOCs and rip
> > > the audio tracks anyway?
> > >
> > > All I want is my music that I bought, on my music player *sigh*.
> > > Bloody DRM.
> >
> > Hey, don't knock it: it's a valuable weapon in the war between the
> > legitimate owners of the material and those who would help
> > themselves to it without paying for it.
>
> Don't get me started.  I bought my first track off iTunes yesterday
> (to see what it was about). I had to burn it to audio CD, then
> reimport it from the audio CD as MP3, to be able to use it on my
> Palm Tungsten. I do understand why things are like this, but when I
> cannot play music I have legitimately bought, I pisses me off.

I assume you didn't have to burn a cd, and just re-used the cdda/wav
data ?  Also why not just run playfair, to decrypt the fairplay
protected data ?

http://sarovar.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=474
 (you'll need to google for a while to actually get the code though,
this just explains what it is)

> Another gripe. Having burnt MP3 music CDs, to play on my DVD player
> at a party, I find my DVD player will only play CDs randomly, and
> not MP3s. So wasted CDs (ah well), and wil be plugging laptop into
> hifi.

You wrote that your DVD player only plays CDs randomly?  You mean it's
unreliable reading CDRs?  It also can't play mp3s!?  Even £19.99 ones
from supermarkets play mp3s these days !

Thanks,

Damion

--
Damion Yates - email: Damion.Yates at bbc.co.uk - phone: +44 (0) 1628 407759