[sclug] Mobile phones, piccies and PC's

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 20:56:13 UTC 2005

Hi,

Not going over the same ground that everyone else has - just augmenting...

In addition to USB and Bluetooth to the phone, there is also good old
Infrared - if the phone supports it.  This has one advantage over both the
above in that it's supported out-of-the-box by Windows 98.

Another option, if the phone has one, is to store the pictures on a
removable memory card and put that in an external (e.g. USB) reader on the
PC; you use it much like an ordinary external drive, under your choice of
OS.

I mainly use Bluetooth because it's easy (all my machines have it) and I
can browse the files on the phone as easily as a local disk (I can also
upload music and things back on to the phone).  But I think that's a no-no
under 98.  Also saves you finding the USB cable for the phone.

All that said, the nicest way to get the photos off is to go on holiday,
take a nice picture and email it straight from the phone (I was in
Australia recently and took a cracking picture of the Sydney Opera House
and Harbour Bridge -- http://www.plig.net/~mince/k750i.jpg, if you're
interested; grainy but the phone can resize down to 640x480 when you email
it -- it was about 6pm and it arrived in my work colleagues' mailboxes
ready for the 9am start!).

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
  Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK