[sclug] CF IDE Booting

Peter Brewer p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 16:36:38 UTC 2005

>Is the order the BIOS and kernel sees all of your disks different? If
>Linux sees your IDE interfaces first, then the SATA interfaces, whereas
>the BIOS see them in reverse, that usually causes problems with most
>bootloaders, common with having a mix of IDE and SCSI controllers.
>
>Again, the actual error might be helpful.
>
>Matt

I think you might be right Matt after all.  I tried the same
configuration but replaced the CF IDE with a standard HD IDE and it also
failed.  Only Suse allows me to get all the way to the point where GRUB
fails to load, and even then the error message is completely unhelpful -
"GRUB failed to load" or something to that effect (I'd have to go
through the whole Suse install to check the exact wording!).

Any ideas how I can fix this?  If I can't get this to work my only
alternative is to have the boot loader on a disk that is part of the
RAID.  Although not a big deal, you can be sure it would be this disk
that failed and would leave me picking up the pieces in a few months time!

Many thanks

Pete