[sclug] phones, photos and PC's

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Tue Sep 13 18:33:06 UTC 2005

Thanks all for the various bits of advice. It doesn't sound like
something I can setup and support from 6000miles away!

> All that said, the nicest way to get the photos off is to go on
> holiday, take a nice picture and email it straight from the phone (I
> was in Australia recently and took a cracking picture of the Sydney
> Opera House and Harbour Bridge --
> http://www.plig.net/~mince/k750i.jpg, if you're interested; grainy but
> the phone can resize down to 640x480 when you email it -- it was about
> 6pm and it arrived in my work colleagues' mailboxes ready for the 9am
> start!).

That sounds a smart way to do it, with possibly the least extra outlay
on bits to plug in or install - but how does one email from a mobile?
Are we talking WAP here? I presume that the phone needs to be setup with
account details of ISP etc, rather like an MUA such as Kmail or
whatever? With no a camera-sporting mobile to hand I am working a bit in
the dark.

But thanks to everyone for responding to this decidedly off-topic question.

Along similar lines, has anyone had decent results with Skype? I tried
it to a landline (SkypeOut or whatever it is), and the quality was
appalling - my correspondent on the landline end complained that his
voice was echoed badly with a couple of seconds' latency, making it
pretty difficult to hold a conversation (because his echo overlaid my
reply) so we ended up doing a lot of 'Roger Roger' and 'Over and Out'
stuff, which takes me back to shortwave radio and is jolly nostalgic but
hardly modern comms. Is this echo effect (and talking-down-a-pipe effect
too) something we can look forward too when VoIP takes off in the
consumer market, I wonder?

Neil.