[sclug] phones, photos and PC's

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 19:53:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Neil Haughton wrote:

> Along similar lines, has anyone had decent results with Skype?

A while back, I had a three-way conference call with one person with the
same ADSL ISP as me, but in Newbury, and another over in Florida. Sound
quality was perfect and lag wasn't terrible.

OTOH, a one-to-one with someone in Reading on a different ADSL ISP (but -
possibly significantly - behind CheckPoint FireWall-1) was awful.

I suspect firewalls and ISP QOS/throttling issues have much to do with one's
experience of Skype.

> Neil.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?