[sclug] phones, photos and PC's

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 20:33:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Neil Haughton wrote:

> ... but how does one email from a mobile?

Many modern phones have email clients in.  My phone (a Sony Ericsson
K750i) has a client that supports POP3 and IMAP (and SMTP, obviously),
even supports SSL.  The client supports reading and sending attachments
(the addressbook on the phone holds email addresses, also).

It can connect to mail servers directly (mine at the University, via IMAP
and SMTP) to send and receive email directly (using IMAP is nice, also,
because it means my mailbox on my phone and desktop are kept in sync;
although I don't think the phone supports folders - only reading the
INBOX).

If the phone doesn't have an email client (obviously a fairly meaty thing,
requiring memory to handle the servers), most providers will give you a
WAP-accessible email account (Orange certainly does).  Also, I believe you
can send/receive through Yahoo! with a WAP interface, but I don't suppose
this supports attachments.

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
  Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK