[sclug] Updating fom SUSE 9.0 to 9.3

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Sep 20 08:35:00 UTC 2005

Hi

Personally for a desktop pc, I usually just create

swap
/
/home

Partitions. As a rule of thumb I use 2x available ram for the swap. I
would probably split the drive into like:

swap 1gig (assuming you have e.g. 512mb ram)
/ 15gig
/home remainder of disk

I would suggest not dual booting linuxes (even though it is quite
possible to share your home as you asked - as long as your user ids
match you should have no problems), but rather trying the kubuntu
livecd out. Note that kubuntu breezy is due out in October so if you
try the livecd out and like what you see (\o/ kubuntu rocks ! :-) you
can always swap between distros easily enough. I say this mainly
because

a) getting your linuxes to dual boot can be a bit fiddly
b) you dont have that much disk space.

To backup your home, use rsync or tar. E.g.

tar cfz /media/lacie/home.tar.gz /home

Using tar will preserve your file permissions etc when you do the
restore later....

Regards

Tim