[sclug] RAID 5

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 10:34:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Keith Edmunds wrote:

> Peter Brewer wrote:
>> We are running Debian and when we set up the RAID we set all 8 disks to
>> active and none to inactive (not entirely sure whether we needed an
>> inactive disk or not).  All seems to be working fine except when we
>> simulated a disk failure by booting up with just 7 disks.  Debian detects
>> the missing disk and continues to boot happily.  After I log in, both root
>> and /home seem to be intact however /data is empty.  Why would it
>> successfully recover just 2 of the 3 RAID partitions when they've all been
>> set up in the same way?
>
> "Recover" is a bit of a misnomer here - it hasn't recovered the partition,
> merely reconstructed the data from what is left. But maybe I'm being picky,
> sorry! Anyway, my first thought would be "is the /data partition mounted"? It
> seems unlikely that all the data would just disappear.

Seconded. I would expect an array failure to result in the filesystem module
bitching about incorrect superblocks and the like.

> Keith

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?