[sclug] RAID 5

Peter Brewer p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 10:50:55 UTC 2005

Err... yeah perhaps I should have added the messages I got when booting...

**********************************
mdadm: /dev/md1 has been started with 7 drives (out of 8).
done.
Checking all file systems...
fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
/boot: clean, 31/490560 files, 82063/979965 blocks
fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/md2
/dev/md2:
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
   e2fsck -b 8193 (device)

raid5: switching cache buffer size, 4096 --> 1024
/home: clean, 35/37175296 files, 1174835/74346608 blocks

fsck failed: Please repair manually

CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and continue system startup

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):
**********************************

If I continue and log in as normal and do mount /dev/m I get :

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md2,
       missing codepage or other error
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
       dmesg | tail  or so

If I do dmesg | tail I get:

pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
shpchp: acpi_shpchprm:get_device PCI ROOT HID fail=0x1001
pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
pciehp: acpi_pciehprm:get_device PCI ROOT HID fail=0x1001
eth0: Media Link On 100mbps full-duplex
NET4: AppleTalk 0.18a for Linux NET4.0
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.16)
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock

This isn't a major problem at the moment, but I wanted to check that if
we DO have an error in the future that we won't loose valuable data.  I
just find it a bit odd that 2 of the 3 MD's manage to mount happily.

Cheers

Pete