[sclug] RAID 5

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 11:14:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Peter Brewer wrote:

> Err... yeah perhaps I should have added the messages I got when booting...
>
> **********************************
> mdadm: /dev/md1 has been started with 7 drives (out of 8).
> done.
> Checking all file systems...
> fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
> /boot: clean, 31/490560 files, 82063/979965 blocks
> fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/md2
> /dev/md2:
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.

[snip filesystem hurt]

> This isn't a major problem at the moment, but I wanted to check that if we
> DO have an error in the future that we won't loose valuable data.  I just
> find it a bit odd that 2 of the 3 MD's manage to mount happily.

Seems to me that somehow two of the stripes for /data ended up on the same
physical disc. Odd. What's in /etc/raidtab?

> Cheers
> Pete

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?