[sclug] BBC climate model

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Mon Feb 20 22:20:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 22:11:40 +0000, Graham wrote:
: Never mind the Trojans, heres the SETI at-home:
: http://bbc.cpdn.org/index.php
: http://bbc.cpdn.org/download/mirror.php?file=bbcclimate.sh

: Its BBC-FOUR's weather model alternative to SETI,
: but it fails to run as expected?

Worked for me.  I installed it yesterday on the offchance, but it's going
to take a year or so to run on my box...

chmod 755 ./bbcclimate.sh
./bbcclimate.sh
./bbcclimate/run_client

worked for me.

Be aware that it seems to scavenge any proxy data it can from the
environment on first unpacking, which is unhelpful if they're wrong when
you start...

: NB Please CC my email, as I receive the SCLUG digestified - a day later

Noted.

: gps at linux:~/2000/ftp/ftp_0602/BBC> sh -x bbcclimate.sh
: + read l
: + read l
: + read l
: + exec cat
: + gunzip
: + tar xf -
: + /bin/sh bbcclimate/binstall.sh bbcclimate.tar bbcclimate.sh bbcclimate/binstall.sh
: bbcclimate/binstall.sh: line 1: cd: bbcclimate: No such file or directory
: + exit
: Press any key to continue...

It's probably unpacked it somewhere.  cd to the directory above it, then
rerun that script.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.