[sclug] Seagate ST3300831A-RK Barracuda 300GB 7200RPM disk

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Sat Mar 4 21:15:28 UTC 2006

On Saturday 04 March 2006 18:28, Alex Butcher wrote:
[...]
> Bolt a regular disc into a 20GBP USB caddy, e.g. from svp.co.uk. Ignore
> their firewire caddies as their firewire component is pretty buggy and
> doubly so with Linux.

Can you give any more precise information? I can't find them.

Also, any suggestions as to decent Firewire caddies? I'm currently using
Firewire and would like to stick with it if possible, mainly because it's
daisy-chainable.

<rant>
I have an external Maxtor 160GB Firewire/USB disk. It's nearly very nice.
There are two big problems: firstly, there's a bug in the Firewire firmware
which, as far as I can tell, will refuse to return any blocks in the first
64kB or so of the drive if the drive contains a FAT filesystem with certain
classes of errors. (This doesn't show up over USB.)

The second problem, and the one I really hate, is that the activity light on
the front *flashes*. Slowly. When there's activity, it will steadily flash on
and off. It doesn't flicker the way normal hard drive activity lights do. I
never realised until now how much I rely on the activity light to get an
impression of what the drive's doing. It's amazingly disconcerting.
</rant>

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)