[sclug] What to use LVM for

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Wed Mar 15 16:35:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, John Stumbles wrote:

> Thinking of how to partition my new 300G hdd for my desktop I'm
> wondering about LVM...

I recently built a server with Breezy Badger and set up LVM and MD RAID 1
during the install; it has a pair of 300G SATA drives that I wanted in a
RAID 1 array.

My only reason for using LVM was actually because the resulting MD from
the RAID 1 array can't be partitioned, so the de facto solution is to turn
it into a LVM partition and use LVM to manage this (the alternative is
partitioning the two disks identically and creating lots of MDs for each
one; the example had 9 and said it was 'ugly' - I had 11!).

LVM seems fairly painless and does offer the flexibility to add in extra
storage, at a later date.  However, the use of LVM on top of MD does add a
performance penalty of about 25%, in my simple tests (with 'bonnie').

The whole machine is set up this way (including root, /home, /usr, /tmp,
etc) except for /boot (this is a separate MD without LVM) and swap (where
I've just added the two partitions as distinct swap areas; since I hardly
ever stray into swap, I've not looked into it much (I'm more concerned
about not losing data in a crash than preventing a crash in the first
place).

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
  Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK