[sclug] Recommendations? OpenSource download manager type website....

Hamlesh Motah admin at hamlesh.com
Sun Mar 19 10:52:02 UTC 2006

Eh up,

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this.  Any kind of guidance would
be useful, always looking to my peers for help :)

I am currently trying to help out on a community project.  They record
and distribute lectures from temples around the world (with the
permission of the speaker).

Currently they are using straight web links to the files and a very
badly managed PostNuke website (which is currently broken!).  They've
approached me to sort the problem out.  The first thing that is being
done is that I'm building a new server for them, simple thing, AMD, 1Gb
Ram, 3 x 120Gb HD etc..  The hardware and system side of things I am
pretty comfortable with.

What I am looking for is a content management system geared specifically
towards managing media files (mainly mp3s).  Something like OWL but only
more "luser friendly" (a nice graphical download interface would do the
trick).

Initially things will fire out over FTP, but I'd like to torrent
everything, my thinking is that I cant introduce too much technology to
them in one go, so :)

Any thoughts on a good system?

Hamlesh.