[sclug] Multiple drives

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Thu Mar 30 17:50:36 UTC 2006

> This could well be wrong, but...
>
> HDDs usually support a faster IDE mode than optical drives, and if I
> recall correctly, the fastest IDE mode on a single channel is
> constrained by the slowest device on the channel. So by putting an
> optical drive on each channel, you're restricting the speed of the hard
> drives.

Apparently that's not quite all there is to it. My research today
suggests that 'modern' IDE chipsets will allow both ATA devices on a
channel to operate at full speed, even if they are different speeds, but
a mix of ATA and ATAPI drives on a channel will cause the data transfer
to be at the ATAPI (slower) speed if both devices are in use. Apparently
if the ATAPI drive isn't being used (ie read from or written to) the ATA
device will still operate at its full speed.

Hang the cost  ;-) I'm going to put in another 2xIDE card, and run the
HDDs each as masters on IDE0 and IDE1, and the optical drives as masters
on the two new channels.  I trust Linux will be happy with this arrangement?

Neil.